Sunday, April 17, 2016

Zander's Birth Story Part 2

I know I had already caught everyone up to the morning my water broke but I do need to back up a little and add a few more things I did to prepare myself for the VBAC.

I started having a lot of hip pain and it was getting really difficult to sleep. I had read about people going to the chiropractor while pregnant and having much success. After talking it over with my doulas and dr I decided to give it a try. If you are going to see a chiropractor while pregnant make sure they specialize in the Webster technique. I started going at 35 weeks and they suggested going 2 times a week. With my schedule it was hard to get there twice a week and some weeks I did and some I didn't. I am not sure if it helped with my success of a VBAC but I know my body was aligned and it definitely helped my hip pain. I also added Red Raspberry Leaf tea. I was not consistent with this until about 36.5 weeks. I did like the taste but until I found I could mix it with Lemonade and drink it cold did I really start drinking it. Again I am not sure if this helped with my success but it is something I was doing. Of course before you do anything make sure you talk with your dr to make sure it is right for you.

Ok now lets finish where we left off. Since I woke everyone up after my water broke we started our day early! I wasn't feeling any real contractions or anything but decided I would call our doula and let them know my water broke as well as my dr's office. My midwife told me I could wait at home but they wanted to see me by 5:00pm at the hospital. Gosh I hoped we would be there before then, that was 12 hours away! We got up and moving and decided we would take Kinley to daycare and go walk around to see if we could get things moving.

We ate breakfast at Panera bread and started our walking through TJ Maxx, Michael's and Home Depot. By the time we got to Home Depot I was having consistent contractions but they were still about 30 mins apart. A few I had to stop to breath though, but nothing that wasn't manageable. I had no clue if I was dilated or if they were doing anything because at my last appointment, 37 weeks, I asked to not be checked. Since nothing was consistent when we got home I decided I would try to relax for a while and watch some TV. Matt worked on things outside and kept coming in to check on me. They slowly started to get closer together but nothing too crazy. At about 3:00pm they were still about 20 mins apart.

We had arranged for Matt's mom to pick up Kinley from daycare but since things weren't too exciting I decided I wanted to go get her to give her some last kisses before we headed out to the hospital for our 5:00pm deadline. Gosh I was hoping things would pick up. I was so nervous about being put on a clock once we got to the hospital since my water broke almost 12 hours ago. Matt's mom met us at the house to get Kinley and we packed up the car. I still really didn't want to go to the hospital just yet but I knew they said 5 and Matt wanted to be there when they said. We decided we would stop and get some food and make the 45 min drive. Contractions were about 10-12 mins apart at this point. They were intense and I would have to breath through them but it was ok things were getting real.

We were on the road for about 10 mins and my contractions really started to pick up. We were almost there but needed to get food still and my contractions were 4-5 mins apart. I definitely had to breath through the contractions and focus on them, then refocus before the next one. We got to the hospital at about 5:15pm and they put us in a room. The nurse told me they had a quite a few check in so they would be back shortly to get me checked in. Surprisingly I was pretty calm but my contractions were now on top of each other and very intense. The nurse came back about 15 mins later and started her paperwork then looked at me like I was crazy when I told Matt I was having a lot of pressure in my butt. I guess because I was so calm when we first walked in, who knows. She said, "Is this new pressure?" I said no I have had it for about an hour and it is just getting more and more intense. At this point she moved a little faster and said she better check me.

What do you know! I was 6.5-7cm dilated and his head was right there! It was almost go time. She told me I needed to contact my doula because it wouldn't be long before I was pushing! Matt text her and told her she should come now. She said she would be there in about 20 minutes. At this point the pain was getting pretty bad and I was having a lot of pressure. I didn't know if I could do this and breath though them anymore. I started yelling, I have to push, this hurts, I can't hold it anymore. The nurse told me to not push she needed to check to make sure I was a 10 and we could push. I couldn't do it anymore the pain was so intense I was having thoughts of doubt in my head. I was never against the epidural but wanted to make sure I didn't get it too early. Well guess what, it was too late! I asked for the epidural. "Honey you don't have time for the epidural, you are having this baby now." I can't even explain the thoughts that went through my head at that point. The contractions were on top of each other with not much break time and it was getting harder and harder to breath through them. I knew I had to refocus and believe in myself because I was doing this! I was going to have a baby vaginally. Thanks babe for the filling out the plan for the day!

I started pushing about 6:30pm, my doula wasn't even there yet. She came in while I was pushing and I was so happy to have someone help me with my breathing. I will be honest the pushing was a relief but like I said the contractions were back to back and there wasn't much rest time in between. Zander's heart rate declined and the nurse told me I couldn't push for two contractions because he needed a break. Oh my gosh I thought I was going to die. I was so thankful for my doula keeping my mind busy breathing through them with me and Matt holding my hand through it all.

The nurse asked me if I wanted a mirror so I could see how close we were. I was hesitant but agreed. I was glad I did; I could see Zander's and knew we were almost there. The ring of fire was intense and I knew I wanted to get him out. I was determined that one more contraction and he was coming out. I gave it my all and out came his head! It took a few to get his shoulder's out but at 7:21pm Zander Bowen Brooks was born via VBAC. I seriously couldn't believe I had done it. And I did it without any pain meds.

I love this picture. I was telling Matt I did it. I seriously couldn't believe I had done it. It was truly the most amazing experience I have ever experienced. I didn't think I could do it without any pain meds though that was my ultimate goal and I was able to do it! We were able to do skin to skin for about an hour and a half as well as breastfeeding while they stitched me up. I tore a little so my midwife said she wanted to put 2 stitches in since it was still bleeding. I didn't even feel the tear. It was seriously an out of body experience to give birth naturally. After our skin to skin time they did his measurements all in the room with me watching and we were transfered to our recovery room.

I truly believe if you set your mind on something you will achieve your goal. It wasn't an easy road but it was worth it all! I am still amazed we were able to get the birth we wanted and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment